Savor the simplicity of a one-skillet masterpiece with my Skillet-Baked Macaroni and Cheese. Tender elbow macaroni bathes in a velvety cheese sauce, a harmonious blend of sharp cheddar and Parmesan, elevated with hints of garlic and mustard. This comforting dish, prepared on the stovetop and finished in the oven, yields a golden-brown crown of breadcrumbs. Silky smooth in texture, each bite reveals the luscious interplay of creamy cheese, al dente pasta, and a subtle crunch. Topped with toasted breadcrumbs, it's a homely yet sophisticated creation, perfect for those seeking a balance of simplicity and culinary finesse in every mouthful.
Recommended Song: How about playing "Feelin' Good" by Michael Bublé? The upbeat and jazzy vibes of the song can add a lively and enjoyable atmosphere to your kitchen while you prepare the delicious Skillet-Baked Macaroni and Cheese. Enjoy the cooking process and the music!
2 cups elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups milk (whole milk works best)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
(optional, for topping)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook the Macaroni:
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. Make the Cheese Sauce:
- In a large oven-safe skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the flour to create a roux. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually whisk in the milk to ensure a smooth sauce. Continue to cook and stir until the mixture thickens, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, ground mustard, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir until the cheeses are completely melted and the sauce is smooth.
3. Combine Sauce with Macaroni:
- Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce, stirring until the macaroni is well coated.
4. Preheat Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
5. Optional Topping:
- If you like a crunchy topping, you can sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over the top.
6. Bake in the Oven:
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the edges are bubbly.
- Allow the skillet macaroni and cheese to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve directly from the skillet and enjoy your delicious skillet-baked macaroni and cheese!